Welcome to the SOLWAY Branch of CAMRA - The Campaign for Real Ale
Our branch area extends from the Scottish border in the north, east to the Cumbria/Northumberland border near Nenthead, down to Penrith, along the A66 to Mungrisedale, before going north through the northern fells to Ireby and out to the Solway coast at Silloth.
If you live within our area and have an appreciation for Real Ale then you will be more than welcome at any of your meetings or socials. Branch Diary
Existing CAMRA members can access Branch Meeting minutes in the Members' Area, using their CAMRA membership number and the same password that they use to log onto the National CAMRA website.The branch AGM took place in Carlisle on- Monday 24th June 2013.The Chairman's report and other information can be found here.
Next Branch Meeting - 24 March 2014 Drovers Rest, starting at 8pm FREE BUS from Carlisle (must be booked)
Congratulations to Gary and Wendy and all at the Agricultural Hotel, Penrith, for winning our 2013 Pub of the Year award - see our Awards page for more details.
After being pipped last year by the Kings Head in Carlisle 'the Aggie' has deservedly won our 2013 Pub of the Year. The Agricultural Hotel won our Pub of the Season in Summer 2011 and has now won our top award. The pub is a regular entry in the CAMRA Good Beer Guide and has a Casque Marque Accreditation.
Opening hours are from Mon-Thurs 11 to11, Fri and Sat 11-11.30 Sun 12-10.30, with a monthly quiz on the last Friday of the Month.Food is served all day until 9pm
Pub of the Season - Winter 2013 - The Royal Oak, Curthwaite.
Congratulations to Kez, Dave,staff at regulars of the Royal Oak on winning our pub of the season award. The Royal Oak is a very popular, traditional country inn situated in the village of Curthwaite seven and a half miles south west of Carlisle and less than a mile south of Thursby which is served by regular bus services. The Royal Oak is a friendly, welcoming pub with a well-deserved reputation for excellent food. Food is served in the bar and a separate restaurant. The emphasis for food (and real ale) is very much on local produce. This excellent, CAMRA Good Beer Guide listed, pub features three changing real ales. These are usually sourced from local breweries including Cumberland, Eden, Geltsdale, Hesket Newmarket and Jennings. As well as very good real ale, our members have also been impressed with the service, welcome and atmosphere at the Royal Oak. The Royal Oak is open 12-2 and 5-11 except Sunday when it closes at 10.30.
National CAMRA News
- CAMRA's annual Parliamentary Reception is a success
Created with flickr slideshow. CAMRA's annual 2014 parliamentary reception again proved a great success as over 100 MPs, Peers, and CAMRA volunteers came together to celebrate and campaign
- Community meeting highlights importance of Sustainable Communities Act
CAMRA’s campaign to urge Councils to put forward motions under the Sustainable Communities Act to protect pubs was discussed at a packed out public meeting in Ealing; the first Council
- Country charm shines through as rural pub wins CAMRA’s “National Pub of the Year” award
Lancashire Pub judged Best in Britain A sleepy village pub has been thrust into the limelight after being named the best in the UK by CAMRA, the Campaign for Real
- CAMRA reaches 300 ACVs
In February 2014 CAMRA announced that 300 pubs had been listed as Assets of Community Value. Just 5 months after Community Pubs Minister Brandon Lewis announced CAMRA’s first milestone in
Twitter / CAMRA_Official
- Saturday, 10:07 : RT @ThePubChampion: Breaking news from #York @LibDemConf: the @LibDems adopt @CAMRA_Official #planning reforms to close loopholes re #pubs …
- Monday 3rd March, 12:27 : RT @TonyJerome: If you would like to follow updates from the Future Pub Conference follow #futurepub
- Wednesday 26th February, 21:51 : RT @TonyJerome: We're very sad to hear of the death of Dennis Turner. He was a great supporter of beer drinkers & pub goers. He'll be misse#camra_official
- Wednesday 26th February, 16:55 : RT @RBLI: Real ale lover? #Shropshire are marking the #WW1centenary by bringing out a Poppy Ale in August: ow.ly/u0Ntl @CAMRA_Of@CAMRA_Official
- Wednesday 26th February, 15:31 : RT @savethegeorge: Deadline 4th March to sign petition and write to planning Inspectorate savethegeorgetavern.com @Textiquette2012 @PrivateEyeNews@IanMcKellen