Welcome to the SOLWAY Branch of CAMRA - The Campaign for Real Ale
Our branch area extends from the Scottish border in the north, east to the Cumbria/Northumberland border near Nenthead, down to Penrith, along the A66 to Mungrisedale, before going north through the northern fells to Ireby and out to the Solway coast at Silloth.
If you live within our area and have an appreciation for Real Ale then you will be more than welcome at any of your meetings or socials. Branch Diary
Existing CAMRA members can access Branch Meeting minutes in the Members' Area, using their CAMRA membership number and the same password that they use to log onto the National CAMRA website.The branch AGM took place in Carlisle on- Monday 24th June 2013.The Chairman's report and other information can be found here.
Next Branch Meeting - 6 January 2014 Boardroom, starting at 8pm
Congratulations to Gary and Wendy and all at the Agricultural Hotel, Penrith, for winning our 2013 Pub of the Year award - see our Awards page for more details.
After being pipped last year by the Kings Head in Carlisle 'the Aggie' has deservedly won our 2013 Pub of the Year. The Agricultural Hotel won our Pub of the Season in Summer 2011 and has now won our top award. The pub is a regular entry in the CAMRA Good Beer Guide and has a Casque Marque Accreditation.
Opening hours are from Mon-Thurs 11 to11, Fri and Sat 11-11.30 Sun 12-10.30, with a monthly quiz on the last Friday of the Month.Food is served all day until 9pm
Pub of the Season - Autumn 2013 - The Crown & Thistle, Stanwix, Carlisle.
Congratulations to Ian Johnston aka Fly on winning our pub of the season award. The Thistle is a very popular community local situated at the centre of Stanwix "village" just north of the river Eden. It's located close to the route of Hadrian's wall. The Thistle is a well-managed, two-roomed pub with a public bar to the right and lounge to the left. Fly has been landlord at Thistle for seven years now. A few years ago, he introduced one changing guest real ale. Earlier this year, he increased the range to two with the addition of Sharps Doombar. What makes this our pub of the season? The simple answer would be the quality of the real ale, but there are, thankfully, many pubs in that category! The Thistle has something you can't buy: it is a genuinely friendly place to have a beer and a natter. This is helped considerably by Fly's sense of humour from the fairy bottle on top of the Christmas tree to the "erly lernin sentor" in the beer garden! There's also a great mix of people of all ages from students through to people even older than Fly! In times of increasing pub closures, particularly in the city's suburbs, it's good to see this community pub is so popular and thriving. The Thistle is a pub that's at the centre of the community it serves. A true pub of great character and great characters. Cheers!
Opening hours are from 10am to late every day.
National CAMRA News
- It's time for pubcos to reassess their approach - by Mike Benner
This piece by Mike Benner, CAMRA's Chief Executive, first appeared in the Publican's Morning Advertiser. Campaigning activity on pubco reform has intensified as the Government’s decision grows near. CAMRA
- Over 200 MPs back CAMRA’s Pubco Reform campaign
A total of 201 MPs have pledged their support for our Fair Deal for Your Local campaign. Thanks to the commitment of 7715 CAMRA members who have lobbied their
- Please help CAMRA lobby Vince Cable to do the right thing on Pubco Reform
The Government is set to announce their response to the pubco reform consultation in a matter of weeks. Your support in getting us this far has made all the difference.
- CAMRA launches campaign material to celebrate beer tax win
CAMRA officially launched new celebration material at a popular parliamentary pub event last night that thanked MPs and Ministers who made a difference by the scrapping of the beer duty
Twitter / CAMRA_Official
- Monday 2nd December, 11:43 : Out and about this #Christmas? Let us know how many pubs you'll be visiting this year in our #CAMRA poll #BitOfFun a.pgtb.me/MtRrzm
- Sunday 1st December, 13:06 : RT @Daniel_Thwaites: Did you see Ian our Brewing Director +Anson @MillstoneMellor in action at #BBCGFS @CAMRA_Official #BeerExperience? :) …
- Sunday 1st December, 10:08 : Come and tick off 5 of the '300 more beers to try before you die' @BBCGoodFoodShow tickets left for beer tasting, 11am and 5pm. U208 hall 8
- Sunday 1st December, 08:55 : Author @RogerProtzBeer is holding tastings 2day using ales from his book "300 More Beers”. Perfect gift for any beer lover @BBCGoodFoodShow
- Friday 29th November, 19:34 : RT @andy_bloke: @CAMRA_Official @Daniel_Thwaites @BBCGoodFoodShow We really enjoyed the Great British Beer Experience yesterday thanks.