Welcome to the SOLWAY Branch of CAMRA - The Campaign for Real Ale
Our branch area extends from the Scottish border in the north, east to the Cumbria/Northumberland border near Nenthead, down to Penrith, along the A66 to Mungrisedale, before going north through the northern fells to Ireby and out to the Solway coast at Silloth.
If you live within our area and have an appreciation for Real Ale then you will be more than welcome at any of your meetings or socials. Branch Diary
Existing CAMRA members can access Branch Meeting minutes in the Members' Area, using their CAMRA membership number and the same password that they use to log onto the National CAMRA website.
Branch AGM - Monday 24th June 2013, The Kings Head, Fisher Street, Carlisle starting at 8pm
Next Branch Meeting - Monday 22 July 2013, The Moo Bar, Penrith starting at 8pm
Congratulations to Gary and Wendy and all at the Agricultural Hotel, Penrith, for winning our 2013 Pub of the Year award - see our Awards page for more details.
After being pipped last year by the Kings Head in Carlisle 'the Aggie' has deservedly won our 2013 Pub of the Year. The Agricultural Hotel won our Pub of the Season in Summer 2011 and has now won our top award. The pub is a regular entry in the CAMRA Good Beer Guide and has a Casque Marque Accreditation.
Opening hours are from Mon-Thurs 11 to11, Fri and Sat 11-11.30 Sun 12-10.30, with a monthly quiz on the last Friday of the Month.Food is served all day until 9pm
Pub of the Season - Summer 2013 - The Spinners Arms, Cummersdale, Carlisle.
Congratulations to Alan and Alison on winning our pub of the season award. The Spinners is a cosy family-friendly refurbished hostelry with unique animal-decorated gutters and a welcoming real fire. It is situated under half a mile from Carlisle's south-western boundary in the village of Cummersdale. A good variety of guest ales from Cumbria and northern microbreweries is stocked. A worthy winner of our Pub of the Season. A new microbrewery is currently under construction on land adjacent to the pub. Locals and CAMRA members are looking forward to the first brews due later this year.
Opening hours are from 6pm to 11pm weekdays and Noon-Midnight Sat and Sun.
Pub of the Season - Spring 2013 - The Magpie Inn, Carlisle.
Congratulations to Anthony and Sharon on winning our pub of the season award.
Pub of the Season - Winter 2012 - The William Rufus (Lloyds No 1), Carlisle.
Congratulations to Matt Potts and his staff on winning our pub of the season award.
National CAMRA News
- MPs discuss the closure of The Porcupine pub in House of Commons
On the 21st May, MPs gathered in the House of Commons to discuss the impending conversion of the Porcupine Pub in Mottingham to a Lidl store. Local MP and former
- Porcupine pub campaigners secure a debate in Parliament
The Porcupine pub in Bromley, South East London is at the centre of a campaign to save it from demolition. The pub’s building can be dated back as far
- CAMRA Members Discount for Newbury’s Real Ale Raceday and JLT Lockinge Stakes
A pint of the best Great British ale in the ‘Crafty Filly’ and world class horse racing, what better combination? The Racecourse Newbury will host its most prestigious race of
- Fair Deal For Your Local: Time for Pubco Reform
We have a very real opportunity to help save the Great British pub. Your support secured the first cut in beer duty for 50 years now please join us and
Twitter / CAMRA_Official
- Thursday, 23:01 : Last chance to win a case of Hopback beer with the GBBG you have until 26/5 to enter when you order the GBBG http://t.co/kbyPluuBkS #GBBG
- Wednesday, 11:40 : Win 1 of 6 cases of award winning Summer Lightning when you order the Good Bottled Beer Guide this week http://t.co/kbyPluuBkS #GBBG #CAMRA
- Wednesday, 09:48 : RT @ComShares: Community Shares website announcement - http://t.co/nJadgNvRlq
- Wednesday, 09:47 : See if your MP supports #fairdeal4yourlocal campaign to reform the pubcos. If not please lobby and get them on board. http://t.co/QigPm1dW73
- Tuesday, 12:51 : RT @IBDTP: @TheParcelYard looking good for tonight's launch! #itsbetterdownthepub http://t.co/iZEd6ogL5U